2018 Best of The Confined Space Equipment.
Any space that is largely enclosed — not always entirely — including chambers, vessels, tanks, silos, pits, etc. is referred to as a confined space. Confined spaces carry a foreseeable, specified risk of serious injury. Anyone entering a confined space must recognize the possible dangers, carry protective equipment necessary to ensure safety, and have proper safety training.
No matter how accustomed an employees may be with a confined space, there will always be risks and the hazards in a confined space can be very deadly, but with careful planning, the right equipment and thorough training, the hazards inside a confined space can be controlled.
Confined Space Equipment Buying Guide
Statistics from OSHA show that at least 60 people die each year from improper ventilation in confined spaces. At least 6,000 sustain injuries. These numbers can drastically reduce if companies invested in the right confined space air blowers and other key equipment including a tripod for confined space as well as the confined space tripod kit. Here are some of the factors to consider when shopping for a confined space ventilation system.
- Budget. The price for confined space equipment is a key factor when it comes to the purchase of these items. Remember cheap may be expensive in the long run. Budget wisely.
- Power sources. Confined space air blowers can be gasoline, pneumatic, or electric-powered. The ones powered by electricity are in both AC and DC options. Power options are limited in confined spaces.
- Size and dimensions. Confined spaces are tiny. You don’t want to purchase a ventilation system that’s too big for the space you intend to ventilate. Also, make sure that the space correlates with the length of the duct.
- Hazardous or non-hazardous. Confined spaces can be hazardous — potential to cause an explosion. Some blowers are not designed to operate in combustible spaces unless they are explicitly marked so.
13 Most work Task Performed in Confined Space.
- Welding, Cutting, brazing or abrasive blasting.
- Applying waterproofing coating or painting surfaces.
- Unclogging drains and sewers.
- Checking and reading meters, gauge, dials and other indicators.
- Turning valves.
- Cleaning and disinfecting water storage systems.
- Retrieving objects.
- Connecting the existing sewer, water and fuel systems.
- Risking victims of confined space mishaps.
- Grease removal from grease traps.
- Removing sludge and other waste materials.
- Maintaining and servicing sump pumps.
- Installing, splicing repairing and inspecting electrical, communication and security equipment
There are scores of companies out there whose operations involve regular or occasional entry into confined spaces. Common confined space equipment includes confined space rescue hear, confined space air testing equipment, confined space air blowers, confined space monitoring equipment, and confined space ventilation system.
Check out our list of the five best confined space ventilation systems for your company below. But before that, here’s our top pick.
Our Best Pick: Allegro Confined Space Fan, Axial, 25 ft. Duct
Our pick of the best confined space ventilation system is the Allegro Confined Space Fan, Axial, 25 ft. Duct. It’s a versatile system featuring 25 feet of ducting and an eight-inch blower with canister. Convenient handles moulded directly into the blower and canister housing makes for convenient transport. The ducting stores conveniently within the canister.
This blower has a quick connect clipping feature allowing the cannister to be attached without the use of any tools either on the output side for ventilation or input side for powerful extraction. The blower and canister are made of durable, lightweight corrosion, UV and chemical-resistant polyethylene materials.
The Allegro Confined Space Fan, Axial, 25 ft. Duct is our best pick for the confined space equipment, and for a good reason. It’s a high out compact axial blower that is also lightweight, works as advertised.
It’s lightweight, hence easy to use and store. In addition to its ease of use and lightweight nature, its compact and built to last. Perfect for contractors looking for a durable blower.
- Lightweight blower that gives a good performance.
- Goes for a little over $300 on Amazon.
- Sturdy build, can provide service for a very long time.
- Can be a little too loud for some workers or the homeowner.
- Fan blades aren’t as strong as other parts of the blower; they break too easily.
- Voltage 220-240V and 115-120 Version
- Sound level 74db
- Air Changes Flow/Min. Free Air 831CFM, One 90 Degree Bend 709 CFM, Two 90 Degree Bends 586 CFM
- Expandable Length from- 4ft to 25ft.
Customer Review Comment…
I’ve been looking for a space blower online for a couple months now. After browsing numerous websites I found one that fits well in my line of work. I am very happy with the Allegro space blower and the 25 feet comes in handy. I work in construction and this is a great product to get all the dust out quick when there is not a lot of windows for airflow. I would recommend this product to anyone that needs fresh air in the room or to clear the room and get the dust out.
Coppus Cadet StreetSide Utility Light Blower
Coppus air blowers are recognized leaders when it comes to the provision of reliable ventilation that meets the safety demands of personnel in fabrication shops, utilities, refineries, etc. across the world. Ideal for utility underground and light industrial confined space ventilation. Coppus Cadet StreetSide Utility Light Blower is no different; it works as advertised. Versatile, rugged ventilators that deliver exceptional airflow in a compact, lightweight design. It’s mainly used for the purposes of confined space fresh air supply but it can do way more than that. The blower is noncorrosive polymer housing is virtually indestructible.
- Available in AC/DC.
- Airflows up to 1300 CFM
- Flammable resistance.
- Glass filled, polyester resin, spark resistance fan blade.
- Accommodates 8” flexible duct
- Confined space fresh air supply
- Fume removal (degassing)
- Process cooling
- Equipment cooling
- Source capture fume exhaust or filtration
- Personnel heat stress relief
- Air curing and drying of paints and coatings
- The Coppus Cadet StreetSide Utility Light Blower has a sturdy build, hence durable you don’t have to worry about having to buy another blower anytime soon.
- It can be used to drying paints or coatings and air curing, equipment cooling, process cooling, etc.
- Some users have complained about the amount of noise the Coppus Cadet Streetside Utility Light Blower produces.
- The blower is a little too heavy for comfortable use for home users, it’s suited for industrial use.
Air Systems CVF-8AC 1/3 HP is an eight-inch Contractor Grade Axial AC Ventilation Fan. It has a rugged polyethylene housing and can be used for a wide array of applications. It meets the 1910.7 electrical certification and OSHA 29 CFR 1910.303(a) requirements. The ventilation system is designed to provide peak performance even in the most demanding job site conditions.
- Contractor confined space ventilation.
- Utility companies.
- Boiler work.
- Open trenching.
- Tank cleaning.
- Electrical transformer repair.
- Maintenance manhole entry.
- 1/3 HP 8″
- Voltage 115 VAC.
- Frequency 60Hz.
- CSA/CUS Approved.
- Weight: 15 lbs, 974cfm, free flow.
- Does not comprise duct.
- Has a wide range of applications including construction, open trenching, telecommunications, utility companies, boiler work, and more.
- High-quality ventilation system built for high performance and durability, irrespective of the environment within which it’s used.
The Air Systems CVF-8AC 1/3 HP ventilation system does not come with a duct attached to it. Can be a little difficult to operate as its heavy, it has a weight of a little over 23 pounds.
The RamFan UB20 Confined Space 120V Blower and Duct/Canister is one of the most popular blowers out there. The double-wall, polyethylene casing is lightweight. Corrosion and chemical resistant and handles the bumps and falls of any job site. It’s easy to assemble and detach as it comes with a quick connect cannister. It has a wide variety of confined spaces applications — rescue teams, contractors, utilities, etc.
When conditions become dangerous, the tough, conductive housing adds static dissipation to its properties. It has collective high performance turbofan design with high strength polymers to create a line of rugged, portable turbo blowers that are ideal for universal use, confined space and hazardous ventilation and deliver the highest airflow in their class.
- Voltage. 115v-120v and 220v-240v version
- Fan RPM. 3460
- Single Phase
- Frequency 60Hz.
- Running Amperes 2A.
- Starting Amps 8.5A.
- Noise level 74dB.
- High impact polyethylene shell.
- Polypropylene turbo fan blade.
- Compact design.
- IP65 rain tested switch enclosure.
- Horse Power 1/3
- It’s lightweight, super compact, and very quiet during operation.
- The attached duct reverse from discharge to suction making the blower easy to use and store.
- To protect the user, this unit is equipped with thermal overload protection and automatic reset.
- If subjected to extreme working conditions, the ventilation system breaks easily despite the fact that the manufacturer advertises it as ‘virtually indestructible.’
- Motor will restart without warning after protector trips.
Customer who bought this said. Needed as a replacement for confined space entry at work, so far so good! Was satisfied and its rated 4 out 5 stars.
The XPOWER X-12 is the only 12″ diameter industrial confined space ventilator fan with a variable speed control switch in the air mover market is one of the best popular blowers out there. It’s manufactured my Xpower manufactures and comes with a limited one year warrant. It’s has a performance plus induction motor that draw low current.
When the unit is used without hoses it creates negative air pressure and air circulation in places like gyms, hallways and other large areas. You will be able to carry it easily because it weighs 25lbs.
- Powerful and energy efficient.
- Low current operational 4.3A draw.
- Variable speed control switch.
- Comes with 20ft power cord.
- Super lightweight, compact and durable ABS plastic housing design.
- Dual thermal protection.
- ETL/CETL Safety Certification.
- 2-in-1 function: high velocity blower & powerful exhaust fan.
- Single phase.
- Horse power 1.5hp
- Frequency 60 Hz
- Voltage 115-120v
- CPF High 2500
This tripod confined space systems are intended to provide safe access and emergency rescue for confined spaces. A full range of compatible components allow users the flexibility to plan for a variety of entry and egress scenarios. Advanced technical design and rigorous quality testing are the backbone of this fall protection system and when it comes to safety Falltech tripod kit takes no second chance.
- Three steel head plates provide added strength and durability to the product.
- Slip-resistant foot belting keeps tripod position secure all the time
- Vital composite pulley within tripod head.
- Galvanized Cable
- Extruded aluminum legs with cast aluminum head and feet provide light weight strength to be carried around
- Cable detent pins secure telescoping leg adjustment
Read, understand and follow all labels and instructions prior to use.
Inspect the tripod before each use.
Remove from service if there is evidence of damage or excessive wear.
- Lightweight and portable, so you can take it with you from job to job, saving you time and money.
- Offers easy single-person setup.
- Certified to ANSI Z359.18, CSA Z259.15 & Z259.18 standards & OSHA requirements.
- Includes: tripod, 3-way 60′ srl, 65′ man winch and bag.
- Tripod offers a built-in pulley system that is located above the head assembly.
- The placement of the pulley situates the wire rope cable directly over the center point of the tripod for superior operator balance.
- Corrosion-resistant stainless steel and aluminum components.
- Features adjustable aluminum legs complete with swivel steel feet and non-slip rubber bases; SRL’s & man winch use galvanized steel cable with swivel hook.
- Meets or exceeds CSA and OSHA requirements for confined space rescue.
- 4:1 mechanical advantage makes rescue quick and easy, with an average retrieval speed of 25′ (7.6 m) per minute.
The Workman Tripod is very easy to use. A simple setup procedure makes the process quick and promotes correct use.
Workman Tripod confined space entry kits provide simple ordering with all the necessary components for a complete safety system. Kits are ideal for applications in tanks, manholes and other vertical entry work practices.
Features that improve ease of use include:
- Legs automatically lock in the open position for added safety.
- A maximum height indicator provides quick and easy identification of the maximum leg extension length.
- Allow for non-entry rescue of a confined space entrant and great portability
- Lift and lower materials and personnel via the hoist while having the ability to use an SRL
- There is no need for a separate pulley/bracket assembly, which makes hoist attachment easier and faster.
- Accessories can attach to any leg for faster set up.
Markets: Contractor, Oil & Gas, Utilities, Industrial, Mining
Applications: Confined Space, Working at Heights
Complete confined space entry kits for multiple confined space applications.
Features three tripod kits and two folding davit kits with a single part number for simplified ordering.
Established in 1914, MSA Safety Incorporated is the global leader in the development, manufacture and supply of safety products that protect people and facility infrastructures.
- 9 ft (27 m) aluminum tripod and Salalift II winch with 60 ft (18 m) of 1/4 in (63 mm) galvanized steel wire rope, mounting bracket and carrying bag.
- 9-foot, 2.7 m, aluminum tripod, model 8000010.
- Built in pulley system.
- Integrated 5,000 pound, 22 ken, and eyebolt anchor points.
- Integrated RFID identification tag for recording and storing information on inspections and tracking safety equipment.
- Provides an easy way to rout your mechanical devices lifeline into the confined space, and keeps it centered.
- Simple detent pin adjustment in 3 in (76 cm) increments offers quick and easy set-up allowing you to custom fit your work space.
- Specialized safety shoes and leg support chain.
- Telescoping adjustable locking legs.
- Two eyebolts designed to hand plumb regardless of surface are ideal for attachment of secondary or back-up systems.
Offers a non-slipping design for both flat surfaces and uneven terrains preventing movement of the legs when the system is under load. Two eyebolts designed to hand plumb regardless of surface are ideal for attachment of secondary or back-up systems. Easy operation is performed by rotating the handle to raise or lower personnel or materials.
Abrasion resistant and extremely durable lifeline construction provides added field longevity. Offers 12.75-foot minimum winching speed with no power source required to help facilitate fast and efficient rescues. Operator activated feature allows drum to rotate freely paying out the lifeline as the worker below moves downward. An over speed brake in free wheel mode will lock and stop the falling worker, absorb energy and allow the operation to reset and continue.
From the Manufacture
The mechanical device is one of the most critical parts of the rescue system providing the means to retrieve an incapacitated worker to safety Lifeline type and length are just a few of the options
- All snap hooks and carabineers meet new ANSI Z359.1-2007 standards.
- Field-proven leaders in tripod entry and rescue system.
- It is designed for lowering and lifting personnel into and out of confined spaces where a tripod system
- 50-feet length
- Material aluminum
- Man-rated to 310 lbs
Economy EZE-Man Confined Space System Includes
- Deluxe EZE-Man winch 3:1 ratio
- Tripod pulley Tripod head assembly
- Tripod leg assembly
- One auto-lock carabineer
- Tripod bag
- Winch bag
- Harness bag
- Five D-ring
- Rope grab with lanyard Nylon rope lifeline
Elk River economy EZE-Man confined space system. Field-proven leaders in tripod entry and rescue system. It is designed for lowering and lifting personnel into and out of confined spaces where a tripod system is required.
Man-rated to 310 lbs. 50-feet length. All snaphooks and carabiners meet new ANSI Z359.1-2007 standards. System includes: deluxe EZE-Man winch 3:1 Ratio, tripod pulley, tripod head assembly, tripod leg assembly, one auto-lock, carabiner, yoke, tote bag, tripod bag, winch bag, harness bag, five D-ring Universal harness, rope grab with lanyard, nylon rope lifeline.
All Elk River, Inc. products must be used in the stated manner for which they are intended. Instructions must be read, understood and followed prior to use. Users should be trained in the proper use of this equipment prior to use. Failure to use in the specified manner could result in serious injury or death. Check with local authorities for regulations governing the use of fall protection. This product conforms to OSHA Standards and applicable fall protection standards at date of manufacture.
When shopping for confined space equipment, most companies are often looking for something that meets OSHA requirements. But that’s not enough. When looking for confined space equipment, you have to ensure that whatever you will be paying for is safe, depending on the conditions it will be working under. Use this guide to ensure that you are getting the best product.